Image Credit: Odlums
Yes, Tis the season for mince pies! But how do you feel about them? I’m extremely picky when it comes to mince pies, I only like homemade ones, simply because I think there’s a drastic difference in taste and all round quality. So I’m giving you the best recipe I know, which of course is Odlums mince pies.
- 125g plain flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 100g packet of ground almonds
- 125g margarine (room temperature)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- A little water, if necessary
450g homemade mincemeat (Odlums recipe says to use a pre-made jar but homemade is always tastier)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly grease the bun tins.
- Put flour sugar and ground almonds into a large bowl and mix well.
- Rub margarine through dry ingredients. Add the egg and water, if required, and mix to soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead.
- Cover in clingfilm and put into the fridge until ready to use. (the pastry will keep for three days)
- Roll pastry on a floured board and cut rounds with a cutter to fit the greased bun tin.
- Put a teaspoon of mincemeat into each and using the remaining pastry, Create a lid to put on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pies start to go golden-brown.