Image and recipe credit: Dessert.net.au
My all time favorite dessert is a delicious bubbly Chocolate Mousse. While browsing for a mousse recipe last week, I managed to find this gem of a recipe.
- 7 oz of milk or dark baking chocolate ( I like to mix it up with my favorite chocolate bars like Galaxy)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 oz of golden caster sugarMethod:
- Place the broken up chocolate and 120 mil of warm water in a large mixing bowl and have it over a a saucepan of (barely) simmering water. Ensure that the bowl is not touching the water in any way. heat the water at a low temperature so the chocolate melts slowly. It should take 6-7 minutes
- Remove from the heat, and using a wooden spoon, stir well until glossy and smooth and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the egg yolks and blend well. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to the soft-peak stage.
- Whisk in the sugar, a 1/3 at a time and then whisk again untill the whites are glossy.
- With a metal spoon, fold a tablespoon of egg whites into the chocolate mix to loosen it, then carefully fold in the rest.
- The end of the recipe needs patients as the mix needs to be gently folded and cutting movements to retain the air which makes the mousse light.
- Place the mousse in the containers you plan on serving them in, cover with clingfilm and put in fridge for at least 2 hours.
Add some Whipped cream on top to serve. I prefer the whipped cream you get in a container as it is the tastiest and really compliments the chocolate mousse.