Image credit: Bloggers own image
This is one of the nicest tart recipes you will find and of course, like most good cooking or baking, its nanny and granddad’s recipe. It’s an apple and blackberry tart polished off with one scoop of vanilla ice cream. My nanny and granddad would always, (without fail) have a tart ready for after our dinner. although my nanny passed away a good few years ago, my granddad still carries on this much-loved tradition every week. With the exception of fussy eaters, this dessert is perfect for family dinners, fancy dinners and well, just about any occasion! Change the filling to your taste and your set with this delicious recipe.
- 225g plain flour (add pinch of salt)
- 125g cold margarine cut into small cubes
- 150ml cold water
- 300g of fresh blackberries
- 3 large cooking apples (cut into slices)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Sieve flour and pinch of salt together into a bowl
- Add the margarine to the flour in cubes and rub together until it resembles coarse bread crumbs
- Add water until combined enough to roll into a ball
- Place in fridge for half an hour
- Cut pastry in half, roll out one half into a thin base and place on oven proof plate
- Arrange blackberries and apples in pastry
- Apple Layer of sugar to sweeten
- Roll the other half of dough into a thin top layer
- Dampen edges of tart so the tart will seal
- Roll top layer onto cake and seal the edges of the tart by pressing down the whole way around using a fork
- Using a knife, scrape the excess pastry off the sides of the plate.
- Cut a X shape into the centre of the tart to let steam escape and bake for 35 minutes.
Serve hot with scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Enjoy!